HomeAboutContactSponsor

Friday, May 10, 2013

That Time I Embarrassed Myself in Front of Hundreds

I guess I've never had to tell many embarrassing stories because it sure took me a while to remember any that happened to me. I think my most embarrassing moment happened when I was a little too young to truly remember/recognize what was going on at the time. You know, kids can't be embarrassed by anything. They're magical at that age. Untouchable.

I was fourish years old and performing at my very first dance recital. We were dancing to "Under the Sea" and had the cutest darn "sea-inspired" costumes. I got to be the leader of the pack in my class. My dance teacher loved me and saw a dance career in my future - What can I say? She was right. But, you wouldn't know it or believe it if you saw my performance that evening.

The routine starts off with me and a dozen other little ballerina girls scurrying onto the stage as we pretend we are swimming. Dance Lesson #1: Put your hands palms together in front of you with your fingers pointing away from you. Bend your wrists to the right. Now to the left. And start scurrying around. See, you're swimming. Back to the recital. I was the first one on stage and the rest of the girls followed me as we swam scurried around the stage for about five 8-counts or so. At the end of those five 8-counts we were supposed to have safely arrived in our spot.

I, however, did not make it safely to my spot in those five 8-counts.

Nope. Chelsea was too busy having a blast "swimming" around the stage like a mermaid that she completely forgot to go to her spot. Yep. I was that girl. The one who was still running all over the stage in a panic when the dance had already started. Hard to believe, right? I mean, c'mon now. I totally look like I take my dance career seriously here:


It continues. I did finally find spot amongst all the other ballerina mermaids and rocked that dance. Seriously. Well, until this one part...

I, Chelsea, Leader of the Pack was given the responsibility of being the line leader again. We pranced around in that line to the back of the stage, laid down on our backs, and kicked our feet up in the air for three 8-counts. However, I just didn't like that choreography apparently [although I later used this exact same part in a recital dance I choreographed a couple years ago. Don't judge.]

I only wanted to kick my feet up in the air for one 8-count. So, as soon as I was done, I just sat up and looked at my dance teacher who was standing in the wings. I'm pretty sure she looked at me and waved for me to get back down. So, I did. For a second or two. But I just wanted to DANCE! Eventually the number was over and I probably didn't get embarrassed by it until I was 9 years old and on a national champion all-star team and looked back at that video. At that point, I'm sure I rolled my eyes, scoffed, and thought, "Ugh, what an embarrassment!

And then I went on to win a couple more championships, danced in high school, college, and taught dance around the country for five years ;) So, sometimes it's a good thing when you get so darn excited about something that you kind of actually forget what you're doing and just make it your own. Dance became that for me. It became my life and my greatest passion growing up.

But seriously, watching that video now, at this point in life... it's just embarrassing. Because you just can't miss it. I was totally that girl. So, if ever you're in the DC area and want to get a good laugh at little ballerina babe Chelsea, stop by my Dad's. I'm sure he'd get a good chuckle too :)

10 comments:

Cassie Marshall said...

hahaha awesome

Jena said...

My Mom has similar pictures of me in a dance recital. I'm twirling in circles while everyone else is doing something completely different. I don't remember this at all, but the pictures make me laugh. My Mom has always told me i march to the beat of a different drummer.

Chelsea said...

Hahaha that's cute. If I was in the audience I would have just thought you a cute kid, or that possibly you wanted to do your own thing. But hey, embarrassing things have to happen for us to learn what we truely want :)

Jenn said...

hahahah, it sounds like one of those awesome stories parents tell to embarrass you. Is this by any chance on video? Cuz that would be even better! :)

Holly @ Cat Hair and Glitter said...

lol I have those kids too. Only it was cheerleading with them.

visiting from the link up.
http://hollygrass.blogspot.com/

Jenn @ West Sac Honey said...

Hilarious and the costume photo.. Priceless! Love it..

Cody Doll said...

That's cute. I love dance too! I danced for 5 years and was finally on pointe before I quit. I am still sad that I did but I couldn't afford it and my body hit that point of being a women and it was BAD. But one day I will dance again. It's in me now.

Your so cute in that outfit!
Cody

Amber said...

Aww, so cute! I can't blame you for "swimming" for longer.. being a mermaid sounds fun :)

Sarah said...

this was cute! definitely gave me dancing memories as well :)

Elizabeth @ mygladheart.blogspot.com said...

Found you via the link up :)

I wish I could dance! If I actually tried dancing, I'm sure I would be able to tell some pretty embarrassing stories...