HomeAboutContactSponsor

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Four Words I'll Always Keep With Me

August 17, 2011. 6 days before I would leave Utah for the last time, saying goodbye to my home and the life I had created there. 6 months and 6 days before I'd say goodbye forever to the person who told me these four words I'll never forget:


"You are so strong."


It was written by my mom at the end of an email from a long chain that had been going on as she provided her support all the way from Virginia. She would email me to check up on me, wish me sweet dreams, and remind me of any last minute loose ends to tie up as I prepared for my trek back home to the East Coast.

But on that day in August 2011, I had no idea just how important those four words were going to be for me 6 months later and again today, as I live without my mom.

This past week, I felt anything but strong. I felt small, I felt hurt, I felt discouraged, confused, and taken for granted. But deep down, I knew that I've conquered so much more compared to what life's been handing me lately. And so, I asked myself, "What would Mom be telling me right now?"

She may not have told me often but those four words above are a constant reminder from her that I am strong. That I can conquer the detours and disasters and doubts and disappointments that get thrown my way. I can.

9 comments:

Cassie Marshall said...

YES you are girl. SO strong.

Unknown said...

I definitely agree: You are very strong! I admire you for that. Hope you are doing better today...

Ashlee Francois said...

What beautiful and encouraging words you have to remember your mom by!

Ashlee
http://theredeemedrunner.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Beautiful words from your mother!

xxSusanne

Unknown said...

I won't lie this post brought tears to my eyes but these are such nice words to remember your mother by.

http://mels-corner.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

So beautiful! Made me get all teary! What beautiful words from your mama that are yours forever!

Sandy said...

I so relate to those words, we have a similar them in our post.
Words of Wisdom

Allison said...

So glad she gave you those words to help you!!

Holly said...

You have come so far and through so many disasters, detours and doubts. Why would you stop now? You are so strong and your mom was one smart cookie ;)