HomeAboutContactSponsor

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Music of My Life

Music is and has always been a vital part of my life. I am constantly listening to music. I can't get over the vivid memories that come back just by listening to a certain song. This was very difficult to narrow it down so, without over-thinking things, here are some of the songs that really take me back:

1. Under My Tree by *NSync

Under My Tree by *NSync on Grooveshark

That entire album is my childhood. My tween years. And yes, in my mid to late twenties, I still listen to it year-round. Every time I listen to that album, I am taken back to when I was twelve years old, celebrating Christmas with my awesome family. Back when it actually used to snow in the DC area around Christmastime. It takes me back to the Christmas tree all lit up, the eggnog in Santa mugs, and lying in bed, wondering when I'd hear hooves on my roof. It was exciting. We were all a family, still all living under that roof.

2. Dirt Road by Sawyer Brown

The Dirt Road by Sawyer Brown on Grooveshark

Back in the day of Brooks and Dunn, my family actually used to listen to a little country. This song would play on a cassette in my dad's car when I was a little girl. We would all sing along but I never paid attention to the meaning of the lyrics until now. What a beautiful song about something my dad always taught me...
"Daddy worked hard for his dollarHe said some folks don't but that's okayWell, they won't know which road to followBecause an easy street might lead you astray
I'll take the dirt road it's all I knowI've been walking it for yearsIt's gone where I need to go."

3. City Love by John Mayer
City Love by John Mayer on Grooveshark
This entire album was the soundtrack to the first time I fell in love. It reminds me of how hopeless, innocent, and naive love once was before heartbreak hit.

4. Kiss From A Rose by Seal

Kiss From a Rose by Seal on Grooveshark

This song immediately takes me back to the Summer of 1995. A big Summer for me. The first time I left my parents for an extended period of time. To go to acting school in New York. This song will forever be a huge part of my life. Listening to it, I can still feel the hot, humid air of those Summer nights as a kid.

5. Leavin' by Jag Star

Leavin by Jag Star on Grooveshark

I listened to this song on repeat when I made the decision nearly nine years ago that I would be moving to California one day. It is so bittersweet to listen again today, now that I am finally here.

And here are some that I just couldn't leave off the list:


I Want You Back by *NSync
I Want You Back by *NSync on Grooveshark

What? Are we surprised there are multiple *NSync songs on my list? This song deserves its own post. It's that crucial in my life. Let's just say every time I listen to this song, I am immediately taken back to the best year of my life [until now]... 6th grade :)

What If You by Joshua Radin

WHAT IF YOU - JOSHUA RADIN - goear.com by Joshua Radin on Grooveshark

I'm including this song because one day, looking back, it will remind me of this time I'm going through now. This song was playing during a defining moment recently. A moment of realizing for the first time since my last heartbreak, that I was falling again... deeply.

And that's it! I'll have to keep track of the soundtrack of my life more often. It's always fun to go back and reminisce :)


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Kiss from a Rose always reminds me of the one Batman movie. I have no idea why...lol.

Mel
http://mels-corner.blogspot.com/

Holly said...

N*SYNC christmas CD is the bomb.com!!! It brings back so many good memories on that time of year with my family growing up. I'm not surprised there is more than one N*SYNC song on your list either ;)

Nicole said...

lost joshua radin.

Nicole said...

oops. I mean love.

MzJessicaxo said...

I'm back to blogging!!
I know you may have forgotten about me since it's been so long but I wanted to stop by and say hi!
I'm blogging again and would love it if you checked out my site :)

Lots of love

Jessica

http://brightlightsbigcityrockstar.blogspot.ca/