HomeAboutContactSponsor

Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Sunset After a Storm

Because I’ve been so bad at sharing the latest happenings in little Chelsea’s life here on my blog, you know I went and saw Drive last weekend but don’t know that I made a little road trip to visit my best friend or perhaps that I had a slice of one of the most delicious cheesecakes ever made. For that, I apologize. I love writing about random things and participating in Pinteresting Wednesday {duh} but then I start slacking when it comes to posting pictures of my real life doings. Please forgive.

Actually, I might need someone to start hassling me to get these pictures posted sooner because it kind of loses its effect when I’m like, “Oh yeah, so a month ago I did theeeeus.” Listen, I like to do funny voices so sometimes I pronounce “this” like “theeeeus.” Try it. You might like it.

You’ll have to wait for the road trip and cheesecake pictures. But, today I’m showing you some pictures and thoughts on Mother Nature. That’s right, friends :)

About a month ago, I experienced the wrath of Mother Nature in the form of Tropical Storm Lee {one week after Hurricane Irene.} On one of the first days of the storm, I experienced some flash flooding while driving and that was enough for me to stay off the roads as much as possible. I was certainly one of the lucky ones. Check out these photos nearby of what other people had to experience:

LortonRd

{via}

Reston

{via}

That last picture was taken of a commuter parking lot in Northern VA. I can’t imagine the feeling of getting dropped off after work and realizing your car is submerged in water. Luckily, the worst my neighborhood saw was a small creek running through my front yard and a LOT of heavy rain… for days and days.

DSC_2653

DSC_2658

I know. Not quite as impressive as the first two, but, that’s a good thing, yes?

One night while eating dinner, we pulled up a local police scanner online {because we’re cool like that} and listened to the water rescues taking place that night. 12 people were rescued from cars on ONE street. Needless to say, the people that were out that night helping others are real heroes.

However, after the rain comes a rainbow. Isn’t that what they say? – or something? I prefer to say…

Life is a Sunset

DSC_2694 

DSC_2688

I’m sure you would have never guessed it, but I actually kind of have this thing for sunsets. I even use them in metaphors sometimes. When I saw this glorious sunset in the car one evening, I just about lost it. I was mad at the cars that were in my way and the same goes for the light poles – I needed a good picture! But, seriously… this sunset was such a gift to look at. The colors, the textures. It was as if the sky was a glowing ember.

I saw that sunset about a week or so after TS Lee had hit. I truly believe in my heart that, like the planet that we live on, we experience storms in our own lives. The pouring rain, the booming thunder, the floods, the earthquakes. After all, when it rains, it pours.

But, regardless of how often it storms, or how powerful the winds may be, each day ends with a sunset. Some days it might not be as visible, but on other days, the sun’s brilliant reflection on those clouds can’t be ignored.

I’m learning, day by day, that there are going to be storms – horrible storms. Roads may be washed away, causing me to find another route, and the lightning will most definitely frighten me. However, those storms will pass. And no matter how hard it may be at the time to see, that beautiful sunset will show itself to me and for those moments, I will look around and know that the storms were what made the peaceful sunset so worthwhile.

10 comments:

Karen said...

Those were some frightening pictures. The sunset is stunning and so is your analogy!

Anonymous said...

wow those pictures are scary! love the sunsets and what you wrote about them. so true.

Liz Taylor said...

I really like the ending of this blog entry about the sunset. An optimistic way to look at things. Those pictures are terrifying though.

Lia Joy said...

This is a beautiful post. I love sunsets too. I think I may have more photos on my computer of sunsets than my friends! :)

Katie said...

Wow those pictures are crazy. Storms freak me out! But yes, storms in real life, totally do exist. I enjoy your outlook on life..you are so optimistic! A wonderful trait to have my friend.

Ingrid said...

Aww the poor red buggie! :)

Lindsey said...

crazy crazy pics! I had no idea it was that bad.

Beautiful thought there at the end, you are so optimistic, I love it!

Sarah @ 90 Percent Blonde... said...

There were places in NJ that had over 10' of water after Irene. And ever since, there has been flooding every time it rains because of ground saturation. Ugh!

Pidg said...

New follower from Soleil Selene...those pictures are absolutely amazing

Anonymous said...

holy crap i never saw those photos of northern VA!!!! :( makes me so sad :( i hate natural disasters.

and i love that you're so positive and always put something optimistic with the bad. :) sunsets are gorgeous!