HomeAboutContactSponsor

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Drive

I can’t stop talking about the movie Drive. I was pleasantly surprised this weekend after seeing it. I say that because, walking into the theatre, all I really knew about the movie was that it was about Ryan Gosling driving cars – and that was enough for me. Obviously.

Poster

From the beginning of the movie, I was hooked. The 80’s electronica-influenced songs set the mood for this retro-ish film about an unnamed man who, when asked what he does for a living, answers with, “I drive.” He works in an auto shop during the day, works part-time as a Hollywood stunt driver, and, oh yeah – drives getaway cars in heists. No big deal.

When a heist goes wrong, the story dramatically shifts.

Throughout the entire film, I found myself mesmerized and captivated. There were the moments to laugh at, the moments to hold your breath, and definitely the moments to shriek/jump. It’s a thriller that breaks the stereotype of its genre with a cast of characters that are brilliant at what they do.

As I mentioned, it is NOT your typical Fast and the Furious/Gone in 60 Seconds movie. So, if you’re looking for a mainstream action movie, this is not it. A decent portion of the film involves no dialogue, focusing on the actors’ expressions and actions to build the plot and the mood. I was fascinated by the fact that after the first few lines Ryan had in the movie, he didn’t speak for another twenty minutes or so and it honestly made the movie brilliant. He played the role of The Driver flawlessly. While doing so, he also made two things look ridiculously cool:

Leather driving gloves

Gloves

and this jacket

Jacket

Oh, and driving backwards in a car chase is pretty cool too.

Director Nicolas Winding Refn wasn’t afraid to take chances in this film with several intense and rather graphic violent scenes. While I have a feeling that’s where many “mainstream” viewers will say the movie went wrong, I thought the moments of violence were stylistically placed perfectly between the so-quiet-you-could-hear-a-pin-drop moments of the film.

In the packed audience I sat with, there were the times when not a person would move {or maybe even breathe for those scenes}

The film toyed with my emotions and pulled me in deeper than any movie has in quite a while.

Between the soundtrack, the cinematography, the onscreen {and off-screen} talent, and the plot – I’m putting this on my list of favorite movies. According to the conversations I heard while scrambling out of the theatre, I won’t be the only one. The film left a lasting-impression on me. I continued to look over my shoulder for a half-hour {then again, that could be because I was close to the area where scenes from The Exorcist were filmed!} I look forward to watching Drive again!

P.S. I thought it was pretty cool when I found out that Ryan restored the 1973 Chevy that he drives in the movie. What a dreamboat…

For those of you curious to hear the soundtrack, I’ve included a preview for you below with some still footage. I’d suggest listening to the first four songs to get an idea!

Have you seen Drive yet? What are your thoughts? Or perhaps you’re just a Notebook/Crazy Stupid Love type of Ryan fan ;)

What is your favorite “thriller” movie??

 

Okay, my rant is over, ha. On a side note, I really liked Hart of Dixie last night!! I’ll definitely be adding it to my DVR list :)

 

All images via Filmdistrict

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice review. i love ryan gosling, this movie is next on my list. (and then 50/50. have you seen the previews for that yet?)

Katie said...

you are amazing at reviews! damn girl. I LOVE RYAN GOSLING..you know this. He looks super sexay. I wish we could see this together!

Sierra said...

awesome review! i want to see it now!! loved hart of dixie as well last night:)

Hollie Ann said...

I saw it!! I loved it and my boyfriend didn't. But I like artsy films and he doesn't. Ryan gosling is a DREAM! Did you see him in crazy stupid love?

Britt said...

I totally 100% agree with you! I was completely memorized by this film so much I told my husband I would see it again. We have been playing the soundtrack on repeat for over a week now. Stylized films are not made like this anymore today. Hollywood thinks we want 3D or CGI movies all the time. Movies pretty much consume my personal life since my husband is a director. I will get off my high horse now;)

Lauren Nicole said...

wasn't completely enthused go see this until reading your post.. now, i'm dying to see this movie!!

Natalie Naomi said...

Oh, i love me some Ryan! I'll need to check out that movie.

Glad I stumbled upon your cute blog!

Unknown said...

I've been dying to see this movie...glad to hear it's so good!

I loved Hart of Dixie! It looks like it's going to be a great show. I'm already anxious to see which guy she ends up with!

C Mae said...

I agree with Lauren's comment ! Wasn't planning on seeing this at all, but perhaps now I will!

Melissa, The 25th Hour said...

This is definitely on my list of movies to watch! I just came back from a theater a while ago from watching Lion King 3D!!

Ps. New Follower :)

Jenni Austria Germany said...

i have heard nothing but really great things about this movie. i think this means i have to see it.

Kristen said...

I can't wait to see it now!!! I was kind of iffy about it but wanted to see it bc of Ryan, but now I'm super interested!

Sophie @ threetimesf said...

I love Ryan! Haven't seen it yet but am v excited now, so thanks! :)