HomeAboutContactSponsor

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Gimme the Grapefruit

Grapefruit

So, in case you don’t know, I’ve been doing my best lately to eat as fresh and healthy as possible. I’m a pescatarian (meaning I eat fish but no chicken, beef, etc.) and have been incorporating lots of fresh fruits and veggies into my meals. This is not a diet, simply a healthier lifestyle.

Yesterday I sliced into a nice, juicy grapefruit. I sat there and looked at each half and was at peace, almost. Yes, I guess grapefruit brings me peace in this world. No, but seriously I was happy and thought back to years of Summer memories. My mom almost always had grapefruit in the house during the Summer months. I’d have half a grapefruit with my breakfast or half with my dinner. It was delicious and I loved it. When I was younger, I would eat all the little pieces and then when I was done, I’d squeeze the juice out and fill up the grapefruit with water. That memory came back to me today while I was separating the individual grapefruit sections. I was trying to think what the heck I was thinking/pretending when I would fill the grapefruit back up with water. Seriously. I had quite the imagination so the possibilities are endless.

Back to present day. Once I had the grapefruit all separated (I’m not even sure what you call the process of cutting the skin away from the actual grapefruit) I sprinkled a little sugar on top and enjoyed the delicious fruit. I have never had a bad grapefruit in my life. Do I need to knock on wood for that one? It’s always been juicy and sour with a touch of sweetness. Perfection.

Back when I worked at my {awesome} job in DC, my department would get the occasional hook up with coffee. Since I didn’t drink coffee, I would get offered a big glass of ice cold grapefruit juice. Mmmm. It’s always so refreshing and HEALTHY! Think about it… apple juice, orange juice, lemonade – all pretty much sweetened to taste. I could squeeze the juice of a grapefruit and drink it like that. No added sugar. Yum.

Okay, before you start to think I’m some crazy grapefruit-obsessed girl (this was the first time I’ve had a grapefruit in over a year if that helps) I wanted to share with you some tasty, or so I assume, recipes with grapefruit! Ready, go!

GrapefruitMeltaways

I’ve never quite been the “fruity dessert” kind of girl. (What can I say? I love my chocolate.) However, I’d be willing to give these Grapefruit Meltaways a shot! Okay, I admit… my mouth is watering just looking at this picture!

GrapefruitSoda

I love a little bubbly in my drinks so, if you’re anything like me, you might like this recipe and the next one. This Grapefruit Soda looks super easy to make and perfect for a hot, Summer’s day!

GrapefruitMimosa

I bet this Grapefruit Mimosa would be a great touch to a Summer brunch or something for the ladies to sip on during a backyard BBQ! How cute is the grapefruit slice as a garnish?

GrapefruitCake

Speaking of BBQ’s, if you’re signed up to bring something sweet, this Brown Derby Grapefruit Cake just might be a hit! Apparently this recipe has quite the history in classic Los Angeles. That’s got to be worth something, right?

This last recipe is one I think I’ll definitely have to whip up soon!

GrapefruitAlaska

Ice cream and merengue on top of grapefruit? Seriously? They call it Grapefruit Alaska and there’s something about the uniqueness and intrigue of this recipe that makes me put this on my “to-make” list.

Even after looking at all these grapefruit drinks and desserts, I’d still be perfectly content with my simple yet delicious grapefruit half. Just sayin’ :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grapefruit Alaska looks and sounds fantastic!!

I love grapefruit :-) I used to be a pescatarian for years :-) It was the healthiest I had ever felt...but now I eat meat and don't feel as healthy ;) Good luck girl!

Lindsey said...

I love grapefruit for breakfast with splenda sprinkled on top. So refreshing!!

Hollie Ann said...

I didn't realize there were so many recipes with grapefruit! Thanks for the info :)

Katie said...

Girlfriend, way cute blog! :) Also, I'm a pescatarian too! I made the switch about 4 months ago and love it. How long have you been? Keep me updated with how you like it!

Creativechaos said...

Aw, I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog. I love it.
I'm not a huge fan of grape fruit, but some of these recipes look good.

Amanda

Laura said...

hello bloggy soulmate! I loooooooooove grapefruit! I'm gonna try all of these!

ashlyn said...

i love all the grape-fruit ideas chels! i will have to try some :] i actually had a grapefruit this morning for breakfast - delish! but on another note, i am considering the whole pescatarian thing. i am not sure tho! weighing my options. do you have any good information on it?

Bad Joan said...

Wow, didn't know there were so many grapefruit treats! Great post, thanks for sharing.

http://www.badjoan.blogspot.com