1. If you could do one thing differently in your life, what would it be?
I would have spent even more time with my mom. I would have taken her out to lunch more often. I would have asked her more questions; about herself growing up, about raising me, about her dreams, about the lessons she learned, about her favorite memories of us together. There's so much I don't know. So much I'll never know. And if I could go back, I would just want to be with her.
2. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Here in San Diego. That's all I know. Life is unpredictable and I have no idea what challenges are in store for me next, but I do know to expect some. Other than that, I don't want to set my life along a timeline anymore. What happens, happens and I welcome the future with open, hopeful arms.
3. Do you honestly want kids?
Yes, but the "when" has changed. You'd think the older I get, the sooner I'd want kids. I look forward to the day when I can be a mother, experience the blessings [and challenges] of motherhood, and pass along the things my own mom taught me. However, I believe my detours in life have brought me exactly where I'm meant to be right now - focused on growing as a woman, learning, and loving.
4. What has been the best moment of your life so far?
I believe I've had a few "best moments" depending on where I was in my life. Meeting my favorite boy band was pretty cool when I was 12 ;) But the first full day living in San Diego was a real landmark moment for me. It signified the beginning of what I truly believe will be the most rewarding and meaningful years of my life.
5. What is your life theme song?
Drops of Jupiter was and as I've gotten older, Gardenia by Mandy Moore. Gardenia is so, so raw and powerful and honest. It chokes me up every time, without fail. It's a song beautifully written about learning about life and learning who you are.
6. What is one thing you have yet to accomplish that you want to do before you die?
I want to treat my dad to a long vacation to some place he's always wanted to visit. He has always been there for us, encouraged us, and done everything in his power to help us achieve our dreams and it's his turn to be the special one.
7. If you could choose one thing to be known for, what would it be?
Inspiring people to fully embrace life and to know that when the tough moments hit hard, find the beauty in life and never let go of your deepest dreams.
8. If you could do anything you wanted right in this very moment (no consequences, no fear, etc.) what would it be?
Surf Pipeline and then take my family to Ted's Bakery after :)
9. What has been the most challenging moment in your life?
Watching my mom die. Hands down.
10. Summarize yourself in one word.
Like "Gardenia" says:
"It's been good... getting to know me more."