HomeAboutContactSponsor

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Cherishing Home

As I write this, I lie in my childhood bedroom. A room that has changed as I have, yet always welcomes me despite which country, state, or lifestyle I am returning from. I felt the same way as I landed at Reagan National Airport this morning in DC, with the Washington Monument being repaired in the background. I felt as though I had never really left.


I was home.

Although San Diego has been made into my home now, my DC suburban town will always be my hometown. These streets will always know my name. And I will always have the stories to cherish and memories to reflect back on during the times when life leaves me feeling alone.

I am home.

And for the first time ever, I feel homesick while here in my hometown. I miss this being my house. My room. My bed. I miss the colors of the wall and the sound my feet make as they race up the hardwood stairs. I miss the memories of Mom throughout the house. I already feel the pain of having to say "see you later" to these things in just a few short days.

But while I can, I shall cherish them. And what ever it is that you have today, I hope you cherish it too.

I am home.
I am home.
I am home.

Wishing a Happy Birthday today to the most amazing man I know, my Dad!

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

This is what makes me so afraid of moving too far away! You've made me think of it, and I thank you for that. I've got a couple of years before I need to decide, but at least I've got the thought. I hope you enjoy your time home :) Nothing beats those memories. And Happy Birthday to you dad :)

The Pink Growl said...

awww enjoy your time at home! and with your dad on his special day!

Katie Did What said...

Aww so sweet. I'm glad you're home, sweet girl! And a happy birthday to your amazing dad!!!

xo

JBean said...

This is how I always feel when visiting home too. There's something so comforting about being back in your childhood bedroom, no matter how old you get!

Chelsea said...

I nominated you for the Liebster Award!