HomeAboutContactSponsor

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I Choose to Be Free

It was one of those Mondays. Crazy, busy, never-ending. And now that The Bachelorette has been added into the mix of Monday Mania, two hours of my day get devoted to shaking my head in disbelief at yet more unreal things that guys say. Yet, I can't look away. [Side note: I'm pulling for Arie or Sean.]

In all seriousness, my mind never seems to stop lately. There's always something to be thought of, planned out, worked on. It's exhausting and complex. Then, I'll see something when I least expect it that is the complete opposite - it's short and to the point - yet, it speaks volumes to me.

As many of you know, I try to visit my Mom's grave at least once a week. Since she passed on, there has only been one weekend that I wasn't able to make it there. It's an important time for me to reflect, ponder, and just BE.

I absolutely love the cemetery where she [and much of her side of the family] is buried. It has rolling hills, lush trees, and the prettiest of birds. I hope one day to capture a picture of a Blue Jay I always see there near my mom's grave. I like to think that it's her :)

As I was walking around the cemetery one day, I spotted this on a headstone:


Those words speak volumes.

In a time where I've really struggled and worked hard to find my true self, this was a beautiful reminder to be nobody else but me and to choose to be free. It reminded me to let go of the things that have been holding me back all this time.

We must free ourselves from those chains. We must be strong.
And most important of all, we have the choice to choose those things.

In a place where this world connects with the next, I have found the true meaning of life.

[Tomorrow is my blog's first birthday :) As a thank you to my readers, stop by tomorrow for a special giveaway!]

4 comments:

Katie said...

Love that quote and those words :) you are far better than I was about visiting the grave. I couldn't visit my moms for like over a year, I think. If not more. I was also a lot younger, but still. Very sweet of you to do and I've been thinking about you girl! Love you

Megan O. said...

That is a great quote, and very true. As much as it's sad I also enjoy cemeteries in the way they can be so pretty in a creepy way, and sometimes even the dead have the best things to say. Thanks for sharing.

Kristen said...

that's a fantastic quote, thank you for sharing!

Holly said...

Love that quote. Preaching to the choir. At least mine :) It's so true. I am struggling to let things go and to just be me. It's easy to get caught up in the day to day and other people, but to be happy and to enjoy life, we have to be willing to let go and just be free. Thank you for this. xoxo