HomeAboutContactSponsor

Friday, September 20, 2013

What Comfort Means to Me

To me, comfort is a state of being. It doesn't just pertain to one or two of the senses, it applies to them all. When you have comfort, you have your safe haven. Your place and time when and where all is well.

Almost one year ago, before I left the comfort of my home state for the second time.

"From the comfort of your own home."
"I'm here to comfort you."

No matter which way you use it, the word comfort provides a feeling of safety, security, refuge. We live in a world where we are constantly put into uncomfortable environments. Environments that challenge us to get outside of our... comfort zone.

Sometimes in life, we don't have comfort. We have discomfort. And it's in those moments that we have to find the little things that make us comfortable if even for a moment or two. Here are some of those things for me:

Apple cider
My warm slipper boots
A cat's kisses when you least expect them
The sound of the waves crashing
Trader Joe's Swiss 72% Cacao Dark Chocolate [for the vegan chocoholics]
A frothy raw green smoothie
The idea of walking in Old Town Alexandria on a crisp, Fall evening and hearing the sound of your heels click among the fallen leaves.

Can we tell that this San Diego transplant is lusting for her favorite East Coast season?

Picking up and moving here has completely put me outside of my comfort zone. This is probably the most uncomfortable I have ever been. But it's made me a better person. And I think that's another thing about comfort... we wouldn't know what it meant had it not been for the moments and times and years of discomfort.

So, I'll leave you with this: I've never been so uncomfortable in all my life as I am right now. Then again, I guess that means I've never been so alive...

3 comments:

Shelby said...

Apple cider and crunch leaves, yes pleeeease! I felt comforted just reading your list ;) haha

Miki {Becoming What I Always Was} said...

Very interesting! I love being comfortable, but being uncomfortable is a good thing too. To me it means that you're alive and growing. You're allowing yourself to be more and more out of the bubble! Awesome!

Nats ~Coral Tinted Perceptions said...

Wow!n Ilove your thoughts on it.. and it's given me something to think about.. how comfortable am I? and how stagnant am I ... *sigh*